17.08. u 12:00 - Galerija Kulturnog centra
Damir Imamović is one of the leading voices of contemporary music from the Balkans. As a performer and teacher Damir brought a renewed attention to the ancient genre of Bosnian traditional music called «Sevdah» or «Sevdalinka»
His work spreads from performing, recording, producing, teaching and writing on the genre. In recent years many of Damir's projects shaked the world of Sevdah: six CDs, multimedia exhibition «Sevdah, the art of freedom» (2015), his book on the history of the genre (Sevdah, 2016), all contributed to a new vision of the music. The Guardian calls him «a new take on Balkan blues», while The Huffington Post goes even further with the flattering «King of Sevdah» title.
Damir develops his research and education interests under the umbrella of the SevdahLab project. SevdahLab encompasses lectures, workshops and presentations on the history, culture and aesthetics of sevdah. Depending on the context, SevdahLab varies from the more practical, craft oriented worskhops, to theoretical, popular or academic lectures and presentations.
As a part of SevdahLab research and education project, Damir lectured and gave workshops in many international institutions:
- The Old Town School of Folk Music (Chicago, USA);
- Loyola University Chicago (Chicago, USA)
- The University of Chicago CEERES (Chicago, USA)
- Boise State University (Boise, USA);
- Collegio Internazionale Ca' Foscari (Venice, Italy);
- De Balie cultural centre (Amsterdam, Netherlands);
- BOZAR (Brussels, Belgium);
- Maison Des Cultures De Molenbeek-Saint-Jean (Brussels, Belgium);
- Art Base (Brussels, Belgium)
- Music Academy Aarhus (Aarhus, Denmark);
- Faculty of Philosophy: Department of Slavistics (Ljubljana, Slovenia);
- Druga godba festival (Ljubljana, Slovenia) and many other institutions...
More about Damir on www.damirimamovic.com